This two ton truck was produced under a contract with the French army for use in WWI.
Pierce-Arrow was the first manufacturer to use a worm gear rearend in heavy trucks and enjoyed a reputation for extreme reliability. Rolls Royce attempted to purchase this patent.
This truck was completed in January of 1919. The Armistice was signed in November of 1918. The US Quartermaster Corp took over the contract and put this truck into service supplying US troops.
QMC acceptance stamps are visible on the Frame Mounted data tag that also restricts the speed to 15 mph – the maximum warranted speed.
At some later date the Department of Agriculture Bureau of Public Roads took over the truck and fixed their data tag on the dash.
This truck was acquired by Grant Hanson in 1963 by trading his mothers golf clubs and bag. His mother discovered the trade several months late.